Constraints, the 2024 Paris Olympics & #Nadalcaraz

20cm.

I've learned to ask in advance, if possible.

Blessed with a few days at the 2024 Paris Olympics, I wondered what, if any paying attendee restrictions might be in place. I found a contact form and inquired. After a bit of back and forth, the answer arrived: ticketed spectator camera lenses cannot exceed 20cm. I later received this list of prohibited items.

These images (1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9) illustrate the lenses often used at such events. They significantly exceed 20cm.

Yet, there are some interesting much smaller lenses on the market. I found what turned out to be a better than expected 75-300mm example. The images below were taken with that lens mounted on a recent camera with impressive speed and very good autofocus.



I like this indoor, evening scene, with Rafal Nadal and Carlos Alcaraz airborne, in front of the umpire.



Danielle Collins in action on Court Simonne-Mathieu.



Emma Navarro.

Tap on an image for more scenes and links.


Explore Roland Garros and a look back at the art and culture of the 1924 Paris Olympics.

## The long(er) lenses I used during the 2024 Paris Olympics measure 164.5 and 158.5mm. I did ask for an exception to the 20cm restriction and was kindly denied :)